The creation of the website is co-financed by the European Union (ERDF) and national resources of Greece and Cyprus. The content of the site is the sole responsibility of the name of the beneficiary and can in no way be taken to reflect the decisions of the European Union, the participating countries and the managing authority.
As one enters the village of Kefalos, one can see the remains of the local Castle. The castle was built of small stones and inside it contained many water reservoirs.
The Kefalos castle is dated back to the Byzantine era. The oldest reference to the castle is dated to 1271. In 1457 tha castle was used in a successful attempt to defend the island from a Turkish invasion. In 1493 and after a destructive earthquake, the castle was almost totally destroyed. As a result, by 1505 the castle had been abandoned.
Today from the deserted ruins, the visitor can enjoy great panoramic views of the bay of Kefalos.
Text Source: www.kos.gr